Novemeber 20, 2020
This year has brought unprecedented challenges for everyone. Our staff has been extraordinary in their efforts to continue to provide the highest level of care for our patients while maintaining a safe work environment. We have had to make a number of changes in response to COVID-19 and as a result, our availability for therapy (underwater treadmill) sessions remains very limited.
With the recent addition of two new amazing rehabilitation veterinians, WE ARE NOW BOOKING NEW PATIENT APPOINTMENTS, typicallying within 3-4 weeks of contacting us. However, if your rehabilitation veterinarian recommends underwater treadmill therapy, it will likely be 2-3 months before we are able to get your pet in for these sessions. Your veterinarian will provide a lot of other options for you and your pet, such as pain management, acupuncture, intra-articular therapy, and a home exercise plan until they are able to get in for therapy sessions.
Please know that we are doing our very best to accommodate you and your pet as quickly as possible, but our services are never a replacement for your primary veterinarian or an emergency clinic if your pet is in immediate pain.
We know that now, more than ever, our pets provide comfort and joy in our lives. The staff of SOUND has dedicated their lives to helping animals, and we look forward to helping you and your pet as soon as we can.
We will keep you updated here as our schedule and procedures adapt to the ever-changing world we are living in.
There are several other rehabilitation veterinarians in the Puget Sound region. See here to locate other facilities or veterinarians that may have sooner availability:
Please also watch this video, as it helps to explain the current situation in veterinary medicine:
SOUND POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR COVID-19
- We are abiding by CDC guidelines to ensure a safe environment for our staff, clients and patients. This includes only allowing staff members inside the clinic, staff members are wearing masks at all times in which social distancing is not possible (staff members will always have a mask on when interacting with clients), disinfecting the hospital multiple times per day, and requiring our team to remain at home if they have any symptoms of COVID-19 or have had a known exposure to someone who is infected.
- If you feel sick, have tested positive for COVID-19, or have interacted with anyone who has tested positive within 14 days, please let us know and we will reschedule your appointment. We are not enforcing our cancellation policy in cases of illness or exposure.
- MASKS ARE REQUIRED when interacting with our staff. In accordance with state and local regulations, we reserve the right to deny service if you are not wearing a mask.
- We will continue to provide service by drop-off only for the indefinite future. This includes consultations, therapy sessions, acupuncture, and diagnostics/ procedures. See below for more details.
Consultations with Rehabilitation Veterinarian:
- Curb-side visit
- At the time of scheduling your appointment, you will be sent a link to fill out pre-appointment forms. These forms must be completed and returned to us no later than 48 hours prior to your appointment or your appointment will be canceled.
- On the day of the appointment, when you arrive in the parking lot, please call our front desk and one of our assistants will come out and greet you and bring your pet into the hospital for the doctor to examine them.
- After the exam, the doctor will call you or *weather dependent* talk with you in the parking lot while maintaining social distancing.
- Zoom Telemedicine
- If you are feeling sick, are in an at-risk group, or do not wish to come in for a visit, we are providing telemedicine consults.
- We will be offering Telemedicine through Zoom for New Consultations and Rechecks. Zoom requires an internet connection and a camera (computer with a built-in camera works best). See here for more information: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-Joining-a-Meeting. You will be provided the information to join the call after scheduling. If you prefer to opt out of Telehealth, then we will call you.
- Prior to your Zoom call, you will be sent a link to fill out the information about your pet’s history and symptoms online. We will also ask you to send us a video of your pet at home/ displaying the symptoms you are concerned about. This information must be received 48 hours prior to the consult or the consult will be canceled.
- You will “meet” your rehab doctor on a Zoom call that will be scheduled for 1 hour. The doctor will review medical records, your history form, and videos prior to the call.
- We will send you articles and videos that will provide additional information about your pet’s condition.
- If medication is recommended, it will be filled through our online pharmacy and shipped directly to your house. We will NOT fill narcotics.
- If in-clinic therapy is considered urgent, we will schedule your pet as soon as possible.
- We will provide a home exercise plan when indicated.
- Curb-side visit
- We no longer offer Saturday appointments.
Therapy and Acupuncture Sessions
- Therapy and acupuncture sessions will be very limited and reserved for those patients whose pain cannot be managed without our care.
- Sessions will be by drop-off only. No clients are permitted in the building. We understand that this is not what any of us desire, but it is the only way we are able to provide our services and protect our staff at this time. We will provide you with additional details on the drop-off procedure at the time we confirm your appointment.
- For those patients that we are not able to see in the clinic for therapy, we want you to know that we are still here to support you. Please email us with any questions at email@example.com. We can work with you on your home exercise plans and refill medications through our online pharmacy.
- Rehabilitation can be helpful for many dogs (and pet owners) following orthopedic surgery, though it is typically not considered essential. If you are considering rehabilitation after your pet has surgery, it is important to schedule this as soon as you book surgery. Typically, rehabilitation can start 2-4 weeks after surgery. If you wait to schedule until after the 2-week recheck with the surgeon, it is likely that your pet will not be able to start therapy for another 6-8 weeks.
- We offer a Home Exercise Program for dogs that have had knee surgery at Animal Surgical and Orthopedic Center. The 12-week program provides detailed video and written instructions and includes 4 Zoom calls with one of our physical therapists. This is a great option for those waiting to get in for in-clinic therapy or those wishing to do rehabilitation at home.
We know that these methods of communication and service are not ideal, but we appreciate your acceptance of the compromises we all have to make during this crisis. Our passion and duty is to help animals. We are grateful that we are still able to provide some care when it is needed most.
We anticipate that things will not return to the “old ways” any time soon, so we are adapting to this new normal as best as possible. We understand the frustration that everyone is feeling, but encourage you to find silver linings wherever possible, such as getting to spend more time with your pets.
Stay resilient, we will get through this! Please continue to be good to one another, stay healthy, and support locally owned small businesses whenever you can.
Your first appointment will be with one of our veterinarians certified in canine rehabilitation. This consultation will be 1-1.5 hours, depending on your pet’s presenting concern. Depending on the day of the week, your appointment may be scheduled at either SOUND Veterinary Rehabilitation Center, 14820 15th Ave NE, or in the Animal Surgical building located immediately south at 14810 15th Ave NE. Parking is available at both locations.
At your first consultation, the rehabilitation veterinarian will review your pet’s detailed medical history, perform a comprehensive rehabilitation examination, and discuss their findings, treatment recommendations, and expectations. You will be provided with a plan of care that may include home exercises, pain medication, supplements, assistive devices and nutritional recommendations. These recommendations can be started immediately while waiting to get in for therapy sessions. In addition to a home program, most patients will benefit from returning for therapy sessions 1-2 times/ week.
Underwater treadmill and other modalities will not be performed during the initial consultation. An Introduction to Therapy Session will be scheduled after the Initial Consultation Appointment to introduce your pet to the gym and underwater treadmill.
The Introduction to Therapy Session will be scheduled for 45-60 minutes. This allows enough time for us to get to know your pet and introduce them to the various therapeutic tools we have. Animals are introduced to the underwater treadmill gradually and initial sessions in the tank typically last 5-10 minutes, based on the physical condition of your pet. While underwater treadmill therapy is very helpful, we also provide a wide range of other treatments that may be incorporated to meet the physical and therapeutic needs of your pet, including: land exercises (canine gym), laser therapy, manual therapy, massage, and other modalities.
Based on the Introduction to Therapy Session, our therapists will tailor the appropriate package for your pet. We schedule therapy sessions for 30, 45 or 60 minutes with either one or two therapists working with your dog. The treatment recommendations are customized for each patient based on the initial evaluation. While therapy sessions will be modified as needed at each session, recheck consultations with the rehabilitation veterinarian are required in order to discuss progress and adjust therapy appropriately.
There are 3 designated parking spots immediately in front of SOUND. Parking is also available in the Animal Surgical and Orthopedic Center lot, immediately south of SOUND.
Please do not park in undesignated spots in the Family Health Care lot or in the apartment building lot next door.
• All dogs must be ON LEASH at all times in the parking lot and reception area. This is a zero-tolerance policy for the safety of all of our patients. We will provide one warning if we see your dog off leash. Further failure to adhere to this policy will result in refusal of future service. Animals that are not able to walk may be carried.
• Dogs are not permitted to play or interact inside the building. Please be courteous to other clients and do not allow your pet to approach other people or dogs.
• If your dog is reactive to other dogs, please let us know when scheduling your appointment.
SOUND Veterinary Rehabilitation Center is committed to providing all of our patients with exceptional care. When a patient cancels without giving enough notice, they prevent another patient from being seen.
Please call us at 206-773-2262 by 2:00 p.m. on the day prior to your scheduled appointment to notify us of any changes or cancellations. To cancel a Monday appointment, please call our office by 2:00 p.m. on Friday. If prior notification is not given, you will be charged 75% of the cost of a veterinary consultation and 100% of a therapy session (1 visit from a pre-purchased package).
*We will not be enforcing cancelation policy for anyone that is feeling sick, has tested positive for COVID-19, or has a known exposure. We appreciate your courtesy in letting us know if any of these apply.
Showing up late. We get it, Seattle traffic is terrible. Please plan accordingly when coming in for an appointment. If you are going to be late, please call us. If you are more than 15 minutes late to a new consultation, we will reschedule this exam as it is not fair to anyone to cut this time short. If you are late to a therapy session we will often be able to provide some therapy, but we will need to adhere to the time that your pet was scheduled for. This may mean that underwater treadmill may not be possible.
Pet Insurance. We love that so many people have pet insurance. However, the doctors and staff of SOUND will not work directly with any insurance company to obtain payment, request coverage, or appeal a claim. Payment is due at the time of service.
We will provide the following to help you obtain insurance coverage for services we provide:
- Detailed and thorough summary of your pet’s condition, including physical exam findings, assessment of the problem, and recommended treatment.
- Itemized estimate of the treatments recommended.
- Doctor signature on insurance claims
- Itemized invoices from every visit
Your responsibility/ SOUND will not do the following:
- We do not accept pre-authorization, promise-to-pay or payment directly from insurance companies.
- Clients are responsible for payment and coordinating reimbursement from their insurance company.
- We will not automatically submit records/ updates to your insurance company; we have found that some companies do not request all up-to-date records. Please be sure your insurance company has all relevant information for your pet’s condition.
- We will not falsify or change any medical records. Doctors will record their findings and give their professional assessment.
- We will not call or email your insurance company to request or discuss coverage or to appeal a claim.
Please “potty” your dog prior to coming in.
Dog walking areas include: Immediately out front of SOUND and around the back of the building, along the side of Animal Surgical Clinic on 15th Ave.
*PLEASE do not allow your dogs to walk or eliminate in the landscaping on the east side of building between the Family Health building and neighboring apartments.
Please pick up after your dog! Dog waste receptacles and bags are provided on site.